Office of the City
City Attorney's Office
222 Broad Street
PO Box 450
Selma, AL 36702
am to 4:30 pm
Duties and Responsibilities
The Legal Department facilitates and manages the legal affairs of the governmental body and departmental operations of the City of Selma. The department currently consists of the Office of City Attorney. The primary responsibility of the City Attorney is to serve as legal counsel to the Mayor, the City Council, City Officials and City departments. This Legal Department provides opinions on points of law, interpretation and applicability of Federal, state and local laws, statutes, ordinances and resolutions.
The broad range of services provided by this Office include:
- Legal advice to elected and non-elected city officials;
- Drafting ordinances, resolutions, policies, and other documents;
- Contract negotiation, drafting, review, and execution;
- Monitoring City policies and procedures for compliance with state and federal law;
- Composition of legal binding agreements;
- Reviewing and Assessing all departmental contractual relationships;
- Preparing local Ordinances;
- Closing proceedings, etc. in real estate transactions;
- Representing the interest of the City through many of its boards/commissions, i.e. the Planning Commission, the Board of Adjustment, Personnel Board etc.
Find an Attorney
- Most attorneys advertise in the Yellow Pages.
Look under "Attorneys".
- Legal Services of Alabama, Inc. is a statewide non-profit organization providing free civil legal assistance to low-income and elderly Alabamians.
- The Alabama State Bar has a Lawyers Referral Service.
For more info call 1-800-392-5660.
Other Helpful Links